Senior Software Engineer Job Description
Family Digital, Inc. invests in good tech! Our vision is to be the most trusted company for families around the world. We will offer relevant tools, technology, and services providing economic benefit and data privacy for all participants. We’re looking for team members who can help support and expand this vision.
Our flagship product FamilyApp® enables families to safely connect online and find great things to do together! We're on a mission to fill people with hope as they experience the security of belonging to a family.
As a fast-growing startup, FamilyApp employees will regularly interact with those in other team members worldwide. We are looking to build an enthusiastic, global team that’s as passionate about families as we are. We’re constantly looking for different ways to stretch and use our gifts, and encourage inter-departmental collaboration in order to provide the most relevant solutions for families worldwide.
About the development team:
The Family Digital development team is fully networked and global, with core teams in the East Coast US and Poland. We work with the latest technologies for native mobile app and highly responsive website development. We offer training opportunities for developers who want to round out their skill set or learn a new programming language.
About the role:
FamilyApp is looking for an energetic leaders to join our Development as a Senior Software Engineers. These individuals will adopt a world-class development methodologies and work on multiple global platform development efforts in real time messaging, advertising and content management sectors.
What you'll do:
Family Digital is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to build reliable, scalable, and maintainable services for our platform. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will lead by example in the design and implementation of major features and components of the FamilyApp platform.
Our team uses a diverse set of tools and languages, including Elixir, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, and Argo. We work with React and Apollo in the frontend, and are investing in an API driven architecture, powered by gRPC-based services.
We’ve built a strong engineering team to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our services
Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the FamilyApp platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, leading the way to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive hands-on mentorship and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
Implementing and maintaining containerized gRPC services and deploying these services to Kubernetes on AWS
Collaborating with the various Family Digital teams (Product, Design, and Engineering) to design APIs that support new or enhanced product features.
- Designing and contributing features to our shared libraries, which provide core functionality used by all of our services
- Mentoring other engineers on the team
- Supporting production services on a rotation
- Reviewing design docs and pull requests for relevant services and repositories
- Supporting other engineering organizations, such as Site Reliability, as they bring in new platform features and testing technologies
- 5+ years of experience overall writing production software using a server-side language such as Elixir, Go, Python, Ruby, or Java
- Experience designing and developing APIs
- Experience with relational data modeling, and in-depth knowledge of an RDBMS
- Experience developing web applications
- Experience writing maintainable unit tests
- Experience with web technologies such as HTTP, JSON, etc.
- Working knowledge of security best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bias for action and ability to operate in an ambiguous environment
Nice to have:
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes in production
- Experience with Protobuf / gRPC
- Experience working on distributed systems
- Experience with ES2015+, React, and GraphQL/Apollo
- Experience with AWS (S3, EC2, SQS, etc.)