Head of Software Engeering
Family Digital, Inc. invests in good tech! Our vision is to be the most trusted company for families around the world. We will offer relevant tools, technology, and services providing economic benefit and data privacy for all participants. We’re looking for team members who can help support and expand this vision.
Our flagship product FamilyApp® enables families to safely connect online and find great things to do together! We're on a mission to fill people with hope as they experience the security of belonging to a family.
As a fast-growing startup, FamilyApp employees will regularly interact with those in other team members worldwide. We are looking to build an enthusiastic, global team that’s as passionate about families as we are. We’re constantly looking for different ways to stretch and use our gifts, and encourage inter-departmental collaboration in order to provide the most relevant solutions for families worldwide.
About the development team:
The Family Digital development team is fully networked and global, with core teams in the East Coast US and Poland. We work with the latest technologies for native mobile app and highly responsive website development. We offer training opportunities for developers who want to round out their skill set or learn a new programming language.
About the role:
Family Digital is seeking a Head of Engineering to lead all aspects of planning for and delivery of a reliable, scalable, and maintainable communications platform.
You will lead by example and oversee the design and implementation of all features and components of the FamilyApp software platform. This role specifically owns the product roadmap to set appropriate external stakeholder expectations and drive recruiting efforts. It combines responsibility to identify and prioritize new product feature requests with managing software engineering to meet the market demands.
As the Head of Engineering, you will work with the current launch team to recruit and organize the software development and development ops teams necessary to cover all aspects of product delivery.
You will work closely with the leadership team to set appropriate expectations with Managing directors of the US and German marketplace. As a member of the leadership team you will participate in board presentations, investor meetings and help raise the next round of funding.
What you'll do:
Family Digital is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to build reliable, scalable, and maintainable services for our platform. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will lead by example in the design and implementation of major features and components of the FamilyApp platform.
Our team uses a diverse set of tools and languages, including Elixir, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, and Argo. We work with React and Apollo in the frontend, and are investing in an API driven architecture, powered by gRPC-based services.
We’ve built a strong engineering team to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our services
Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance.
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the FamilyApp platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, leading the way to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive hands-on mentorship and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
The team launching the FamilyApp platform uses a diverse set of tools and languages, including Elixir, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, and Argo. We work with React and Apollo in the frontend, and are investing in an API driven architecture, powered by gRPC-based services. You will be expected to have a thorough understanding of the infrastructure and work closely with Family Digital CTO to work through any further architecture decisions yet to be made. We’ve built a strong engineering practices to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
- Launching the platform as a software service to FamilyApp in a staged fashion to service professionals, agency partners and large publishers.
- Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our services.
- Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance.
Help scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new features on the FamilyApp platform. You'll be a critical part of our company, leading the way to implement best practices in product management, technical recruiting and engineering process management. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, providing hands-on mentorship and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career as we scale globally, raise series A funding and build out the C-level and VP level organization. Your primary responsibility will be to do what it takes to deliver a reliable platform, with a personal bias for action and ability to operate in an ambiguous environment.
- Present reports on the FamilyApp platform status, goals and or progress
- Create and implement platform development strategies
- Align the platform development resources with short- and long-term goals
- Serve on the leadership team to align platform development goals to sales and marketing business unit objectives, and the broader organizational mission.
- Identify what technologies can be used to improve the platform and services
- Create and oversee high-level KPIs for platform development
- Recruit, onboard, train and mentor platform development team globally. (Note that some team members may be contractors or resources from founding companies.)
- Collaborate with partner engineering organizations as they deliver platform features and testing technologies in earlier stages of platform development
- Manage the platform development budget
- Bring together various managers (product, design, and engineering) to design APIs that support new or enhanced product features
- Review design docs and pull requests for relevant services and repositories
- Ensure that production services are maintained on a rotation.
Leadership skills required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organization and time-management skills
- Multitasking skills
- Ability to manage large budgets effectively
- Knowledge of latest technological advances that could benefit company
- Knowledge of all functions and roles within design, product management and engineering
- Knowledge of best information security practices
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
Technical skills required:
- 5+ years of experience overall writing production software using a server-side language such as Elixir, Go, Python, Ruby, or Java
- Experience designing and developing APIs
- Experience with relational data modeling, and in-depth knowledge of an RDBMS
- Experience developing web applications
- Experience writing maintainable unit tests
- Experience with web technologies such as HTTP, JSON, etc.
- Working knowledge of security best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bias for action and ability to operate in an ambiguous environment
Nice to have:
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes in production
- Experience with Protobuf / gRPC
- Experience working on distributed systems
- Experience with ES2015+, React, and GraphQL/Apollo
- Experience with AWS (S3, EC2, SQS, etc.)